What are the major powers of
commonly used when speaking of the House and the Senate)?
Answer: Congress can
1. Lay and collect taxes - NOTE:
All revenue (money)
bills must start in the House.
2. Borrow money
3. Declare war (and raise and support an army)
4. Regulate interstate commerce (trade between two or more
states), and regulate commerce with foreign nations
5. Coin money
6. Fix the standard for weights and measures
7. Establish post offices
8. Create a court system below the Supreme Court
Click here for next
Back to eFlashcard headquarters